Italy ship captain arrested on suspicion of manslaughter
PORTO SANTO STEFANO, Italy
PORTO SANTO STEFANO, Italy (Reuters) - The captain of the Italian cruise liner that ran aground off Italy was arrested on suspicion of multiple manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and abandoning ship, police said Saturday.
Police said the captain, Francesco Schettino, was taken to a jail in the provincial capital Grosseto to await questioning by a magistrate.
(Reporting By Gavin Jones, Writing by Philip Pullella; Editing by Myra MacDonald)
- Washington, DC city council raises minimum wage to $11.50/hr in 2016
- Winning ticket sold in California for Mega Millions lottery: official |
- UPDATE 5-Mega Millions lottery winning tickets sold in California, Georgia -Officials
- China confirms near miss with U.S. ship in South China Sea
- India removes barriers to U.S. embassy as anger grows over diplomat's arrest
During Soviet times, Sochi gained a reputation for tolerance but the city's once vibrant gay scene has been shrinking as Russia prepares to host the 2014 Winter Games. Slideshow