Opposition re-elects Ghalioun as its head: source
DUBAI (Reuters) - Opponents of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad re-elected Burhan Ghalioun as head of the Syrian National Council, a senior member of the body said after a meeting in the Qatari capital Doha on Wednesday.
Opposition leaders last month agreed at a meeting in Istanbul to give Ghalioun a one-month extension as head of the council after earlier rejecting a draft accord he had signed with a rival opposition group.
(Reporting by Sami Aboudi Editing by Maria Golovnina)
- Exclusive: Secret contract tied NSA and security industry pioneer |
- U.S. aircraft hit by gunfire in South Sudan as conflict worsens
- Four men arrested in deadly N.J. shopping mall carjacking
- With Fed out of the way, what's next on Wall Street?
- Analysis: Lost Brazil order raises threat to Boeing fighter jets
A federal judge struck down Utah's ban on same-sex marriage as unconstitutional, handing a major victory to gay rights activists in a conservative state Slideshow