Deep 6.1 magnitude earthquake strikes Argentina: USGS
(Reuters) - - A major earthquake of 6.1 magnitude struck in Argentina, 69 miles east southeast of Santiago del Estero at a depth of 340 miles, the U.S. Geological Survey said.
The quake occurred at 4:46 a.m. (2:46 a.m. EST) on Monday. A quake of that magnitude nearer the earth's surface could cause severe damage in a densely populated area.
Santiago del Estero is in north central Argentina and has a population of about 245,000.
(World Desk, Americas)
- Malaysian PM says lost airliner was diverted deliberately |
- Malaysia PM says lost plane's movements indicate a deliberate act
- Exclusive: Radar data suggests missing Malaysia plane deliberately flown way off course - sources
- UPDATE 2-Satellite data shows missing Malaysia plane may have flown thousands of miles-source
- UPDATE 1-Rolls-Royce concurs with Malaysia on missing jet's engine data