UPDATE 1-Paychex posts in-line profit, backs FY view
* Q3 EPS $0.37
* Q3 rev up 7 pct
* Sees FY12 total service rev up 7-9 pct
March 28 (Reuters) - Paychex Inc posted a quarterly profit in line with market estimates, and the payroll processor said it continues to expect checks per client to be moderate for the rest of the year.
The company, which caters to small and medium-sized businesses, backed its outlook for the remainder of 2012.
Checks per client -- the number of paychecks issued by each client -- is an indicator of the health of the small business market in the United States.
Third quarter net income was $135.4 million, or 37 cents a share, compared with $130.6 million, or 36 cents per share, last year.
Net revenue rose 7 percent to $569.5 million.
Analysts expected the company to earn 37 cents per share on revenue of $568.9 million according to Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S.
Revenue from the company's key payroll service department was $386.5 million, up 5 percent from a year ago.
Human resource services revenue rose 12 percent to $172 million.
Shares of the company, which has a market value of around $11.5 billion, closed at $31.98 on Wednesday on the Nasdaq.
- Israel strikes house of Hamas Gaza leader, digs in for long fight |
- West agrees wider Russia sanctions as Kiev says forces near crash site |
- U.S. says Russia violated nuclear treaty, urges immediate talks
- Judge gives go-ahead for $2 billion sale of NBA's Clippers
- Jaded Argentines brace for looming debt default