SK hynix says submitted bid interest for Japan's Elpida
SEOUL, March 30
SEOUL, March 30 (Reuters) - South Korean chipmaker SK hynix said on Friday it had submitted bid interest for Japan's Elpida Memory Inc in a potential deal that could create a stronger challenger to sector leader Samsung Electronics Co.
"We've submitted our interest today, which is the initial bid deadline, and plan to decide whether to make a formal bid after thorough due diligence," SK hynix said in a statement to the Korean stock exchange.
The move comes just after the firm officially launched as SK hynix this week following a takeover of a majority stake in Hynix by cash-rich SK Telecom Co.
Hynix's chief executive said earlier this month it was not interested in Elpida.
- Insight: How U.S. spying cost Boeing multibillion-dollar jet contract
- Exclusive: Secret contract tied NSA and security industry pioneer |
- With Fed out of the way, what's next on Wall Street?
- Insight: For Chinese farmers, a rare welcome in Russia's Far East
- Ice storms, snowfall, rain hinders holiday travel across U.S.