- IRS official refuses to answer questions at scandal hearing |
- Global stocks, oil fall after Bernanke; dollar gains |
- Oklahoma tornado victims astounded at how they survived |
- CORRECTED-White House threatens veto of bill to bypass Obama on Keystone
- British soldier hacked to death in suspected Islamist attack
Detroit OK's deal to avoid state takeover
DETROIT (Reuters) - Detroit's city council on Wednesday approved 5 to 4 a consent agreement that would avoid the city's takeover by the state of Michigan due to its sagging finances.
A review team appointed by Michigan Governor Rick Snyder in December had also approved the deal earlier Wednesday.
Both the review team and the city council took the action ahead of a Thursday deadline for sending recommendations to the governor and after a state appeals court lifted a temporary restraining order that had stopped the team from meeting.
(Reporting by Bernie Woodall; Editing by Phil Berlowitz)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this