Mother of Egypt's Abu Ismail U.S. citizen-commission
CAIRO (Reuters) - Egypt's electoral commission said on Saturday it had received verification that the mother of a leading Salafi presidential candidate had U.S. citizenship, a status that will likely disqualify him from the race.
"On Saturday, the high electoral committee received a letter from the Foreign Ministry informing it that Nawal Abdel-Aziz, mother of Hazem Abu Ismail, obtained American nationality on October 25, 2006," the commission's Hatem Degato told Reuters.
The official said the commission would give a verdict on Abu Ismail's eligibility after the Sunday deadline for all presidential candidates to submit their applications to run.
(Reporting by Marwa Awad and Omar Fahmy; Writing by Patrick Werr)
- Tesla says in talks with BMW over car batteries, parts
- Exclusive: China ready to cut rates again on fears of deflation - sources
- Actor Dwight Henry eyed in New Orleans killing after arrest for theft
- China building South China Sea island big enough for airstrip: report
- Obama to Republican critics on immigration: 'Pass a bill'