Nadal to play Djokovic at Real's Bernabeu stadium
MADRID (Reuters) - Novak Djokovic and Rafa Nadal, the world's top two players, will try to set a record attendance for a tennis match when they face off at Real Madrid's Bernabeu stadium in July, the club said on Tuesday.
"The objective of this exhibition match is to set a spectator record for a game of tennis, exceeding 80,000," the nine-times European champions said on their website.
The charity event, to be played on July 14, is being organized by the Realmadrid Foundation and the Rafa Nadal Foundation, with the proceeds going to projects developed by both around the world.
Spaniard Nadal is a well-known Real fan while Serbian Djokovic has been a guest of honor at the club's facilities, and once wore a Real shirt when he walked out for a tennis match at the Madrid Masters.
(Reporting by Mark Elkington, editing by Pritha Sarkar)
- NOAA employee charged with stealing U.S. dam information
- Autopsy of slain Missouri teen shows close-range gunshot: report
- Special Report: Traffickers use abductions, prison ships to feed Asian slave trade
- Hong Kong protesters march after fruitless talks with government
- Sweden gets two new sightings, as hunt for undersea intruder goes on