Brazil Feb retail sales fall 0.5 pct from Jan
SAO PAULO, April 13
SAO PAULO, April 13 (Reuters) - Retail sales volumes in Brazil f ell 0.5 percent in February from January, the government statistics agency IBGE said on Friday.
Retail sales had been expected to fall 0.4 percent, according to the median estimate of 20 economists polled by Reuters. Forecasts ranged from a fall of 1 percent to no growth.
However, February's retail sales jumped 9.6 percent from the year-earlier period, the IBGE added, more than the 9 percent median estimate in the Reuters poll. Forecasts ranged from 7.5 percent to 9.8 percent gains.
- Malaysia plane search straddles continent as police focus on crew |
- Crimeans vote over 90 percent to quit Ukraine for Russia |
- Moscow wins overwhelming Crimea vote, West readies sanctions |
- Ukraine, Russia agree Crimea truce until March 21-Ukraine minister
- Stocks near one-month low as western sanctions on Russia loom |