Gannett results down on advertising slump
* Q1 EPS $0.28 vs. $0.37 yr-ago
* Total revenue down 2.6 pct in line with analysts' forecast
* Publishing advertising revenue down 8.4 pct
April 16 (Reuters) - Gannett Co reported on Monday that first-quarter revenue fell 2.6 percent, dragged down by weak advertising sales at its newspapers, and earnings fell further.
The largest newspaper chain the in U.S. said on Monday that total revenue was $1.22 billion, roughly in-line with analysts' average expectations of $1.24 billion, according to Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S.
Publishing advertising revenue declined 8.4 percent to $551.4 million.
Gannett, which owns several newspapers, including USA Today, as well as broadcast television stations, reported first quarter earnings per share of 28 cents, down from 37 cents per share in the year-ago period.
- Malaysia military source says missing jet veered to west |
- Ukraine appeals to West as Crimea turns to Russia |
- Malaysia air probe finds scant evidence of attack: sources |
- UPDATE 1-Missing Malaysian plane last seen at Strait of Malacca-source
- Libyan parliament sacks PM after tanker escapes rebel-held port