VW CEO warns of 'very demanding year' ahead
HAMBURG, April 19
HAMBURG, April 19 (Reuters) - German car maker Volkswagen is bracing for a "very demanding year" as the European debt crisis weighs on auto markets and global economic growth slows.
"The risks are growing," Chief Executive Officer Martin Winterkorn said in a speech at VW's annual general meeting on Thursday.
Still, VW remains "cautiously optimistic" for 2012 despite the economic uncertainties, he said, adding the company still aims to increase auto sales and revenue beyond 2011 results.
VW also stood by a forecast to match last year's record operating profit of 11.3 billion euros ($14.83 billion). ($1 = 0.7621 euros) (Reporting By Andreas Cremer)
- Alabama man gets $1,000 in police settlement, his lawyers get $459,000
- Probe: Athletes took fake classes at University of North Carolina
- Ottawa pushes for business as usual after shootings |
- Man arrested after jumping White House fence, causing lockdown
- U.S.-led air strikes killed 521 fighters, 32 civilians in Syria: monitor