UPDATE 1-Par investor raises stake, pushes for sale of co
May 7 (Reuters) - Activist investor Ralph Whitworth's Relational Investors LLC raised its stake in generic drug firm Par Pharmaceutical Cos Inc, and said the company should focus its strategies on a potential takeover of Par.
While Par's management was taking steps to improve the company's valuation, the stock will continue to trade at a substantial discount to the price that can be offered in a sale to a larger generic company, Relational said.
"Specifically, (Relational is) confident that substantial cost savings could be achieved in a transaction with a strategic buyer," the investor said in a regulatory filing.
Last year Relational had said Par should consider strategic alternatives.
Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey-based Par's shares were trading nearly flat at $41.69 in morning trade on the New York Stock Exchange.
- Cortege departs to take Mandela's body to lie in state |
- U.S. Mega Millions lottery up to $344 million, fourth biggest in its history
- Uruguay becomes first country to legalize marijuana trade
- UPDATE 1-U.S. Mega Millions lottery up to $344 million, fourth biggest in its history
- U.S. budget deal could usher in new era of cooperation