UPDATE 1-Par investor raises stake, pushes for sale of co
May 7 (Reuters) - Activist investor Ralph Whitworth's Relational Investors LLC raised its stake in generic drug firm Par Pharmaceutical Cos Inc, and said the company should focus its strategies on a potential takeover of Par.
While Par's management was taking steps to improve the company's valuation, the stock will continue to trade at a substantial discount to the price that can be offered in a sale to a larger generic company, Relational said.
"Specifically, (Relational is) confident that substantial cost savings could be achieved in a transaction with a strategic buyer," the investor said in a regulatory filing.
Last year Relational had said Par should consider strategic alternatives.
Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey-based Par's shares were trading nearly flat at $41.69 in morning trade on the New York Stock Exchange.
- British Muslim calls for action on jihadi subculture after beheading video |
- Obama condemns killing of reporter, U.S. hits militants in Iraq |
- Israeli air strike kills three Hamas commanders in Gaza |
- Stocks extend rally, S&P hits new high as data signals growth
- Thai junta leader appointed PM by hand-picked parliament |