RPT-Asahi to buy Calpis from Ajinomoto for $1.5 bln
(Repeats to attach to additional headline)
TOKYO May 8 (Reuters) - Asahi Group Holdings said on Tuesday it would buy Japanese soft drinks maker Calpis Co for 120 billion yen ($1.5 billion) as the brewer works to lift its non-alcoholic beverage profits to help offset a shrinking domestic beer market.
Asahi's plan to buy Calpis from seasonings maker Ajinomoto Co was first flagged to the market last month in reports by Reuters and other media.
Meanwhile, Ajinomoto said it would buy back up to 7.39 percent of its outstanding shares, worth 50 billion yen. ($1 = 79.92 Japanese yen) (Reporting by Miki Kayaoka and Shinichi Saoshiro; Writing by James Topham; Editing by Joseph Radford)
- Alabama man gets $1,000 in police settlement, his lawyers get $459,000
- Canada PM vows crackdown after capital shocked by fatal attacks |
- Man arrested after jumping White House fence, causing lockdown
- Probe: Athletes took fake classes at University of North Carolina
- U.S.-led air strikes killed 521 fighters, 32 civilians in Syria: monitor