Italy region seeks buyers for car maker De Tomaso
TURIN May 8 (Reuters) - The Italian region of Piedmont has contacted several car manufacturers, including BMW, to sound out interest in acquiring troubled sports-car maker De Tomaso, a trade union said in a statement on Tuesday.
"The region informed us that it has initiated contacts with several automobile manufacturers, including BMW, to discuss the sale of the factory in order to re-start production," Italian trade union UIL said in a statement after a meeting between unions and regional officials to discuss the situation.
The union noted that any deal for De Tomaso "is hypothetical, for now."
"BMW has no interest in the De Tomaso brand or in its sites," a spokesman for the German car maker told Reuters.
(Reporting by Jennifer Clark, Christiaan Hetzner and Gianni Montani)
- Police seek motive in fatal Washington state school shooting
- Two deputies killed, two others hurt in California shooting spree
- Wall St. finally turning on Amazon as Bezos magic fades
- Iran hangs woman convicted of killing alleged rapist
- Medical worker quarantined in New Jersey under new Ebola safeguards |