"The Avengers" box office debut boosted to new record
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Superhero movie "The Avengers" flexed its muscle a bit more on Monday, pushing its total debut weekend box office revenues to a new record $207.4 million in the United States and Canada from about $200.3 million one day earlier.
The film featuring several Marvel comic book characters including Captain America, Black Widow and Thor shattered the previous U.S. and Canadian opening weekend record of $169.2 million by "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2" set last year.
The Walt Disney Co. said the movie, which opened in U.S. and Canadian theaters on Friday, has now amassed global total ticket sales of $654.8 million in just 12 days when adding in international receipts.
- Malaysia military source says missing jet veered to west |
- Ukraine appeals to West as Crimea turns to Russia |
- Malaysia air probe finds scant evidence of attack: sources |
- UPDATE 1-Missing Malaysian plane last seen at Strait of Malacca-source
- Libyan parliament sacks PM after tanker escapes rebel-held port