REFILE-Zurich Insurance Q1 net profit
(Refiles to remove word "hold" from headline)
ZURICH May 10 (Reuters) - Zurich Insurance Group beat expectations on Thursday with a 78 percent rise in first-quarter profit, thanks in part to very few natural catastrophes during the period and a rise in premium income.
The firm, previously known as Zurich Financial Services, recorded a net profit of $1.143 billion for the first three months of the year. A Reuters poll of analyst forecast a net profit of $997 million.
"(We saw) sustained momentum in developing high-potential growth markets," Europe's second-biggest insurer by market capitalisation said in a statement.
The strong rise in profit occurred in part because profit last year was blighted by an unusually high number of natural catastrophes such as the tsunami in Japan.
(Reporting by Catherine Bosley)
- Thousands of Gaza civilians flee after Israeli warning |
- Three dead, two wounded in Pasadena, California shootings
- Teen survivor of Texas shootings says slain family members 'in much better place'
- Rape and murder of 13-year-old spark debate in junta-ruled Thailand
- Russia threatens Ukraine after shell crosses border