Nikkei firms, propped up by Fanuc, Fast Retailing
TOKYO (Reuters) - Japan's Nikkei average steadied on Monday after marking eight straight weeks of declines last week, with gains from widely held Fast Retailing (9983.T) and Fanuc Corp (6954.T) propping up the benchmark in thin trade.
The Nikkei ended up 0.2 percent at 8,593.15, while the broader Topix index .TOPX slipped 0.1 percent to 721.11.
(Reporting by Sophie Knight)
- Israel holds off on escalating Gaza barrage; West wants truce |
- Russia warns Ukraine after shell crosses border |
- Three dead, two wounded in Pasadena, California shootings
- As some high-risk assets take a hit, investors fear worse is to come
- Heavy fighting breaks out near Libya's Tripoli airport, seven dead