Italy expels Syrian ambassador: foreign ministry
ROME (Reuters) - Italy has declared the Syrian ambassador and other embassy staff "persona non grata", the foreign ministry said on Tuesday, joining other European countries in expelling Syrian diplomats in a protest against massacres of the civilian population.
Britain, Germany, France and Canada have announced similar moves.
(Reporting By James Mackenzie)
- North Korea says Kim's powerful uncle dismissed for 'criminal acts'
- Thai PM calls snap election, protesters want power now |
- Protesters fell Lenin statue, tell Ukraine's president 'you're next'
- Billy Joel, Shirley MacLaine feted at Kennedy Center Honors
- Singapore hit by rare outbreak of rioting, 27 arrested |
Protesters respond to calls to defend their demonstration from possible police intervention. Slideshow