U.S. expels top Syrian diplomat, rejects intervention

WASHINGTON Tue May 29, 2012 5:52pm EDT

Related Video

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States expelled Syria's top diplomat in Washington on Tuesday following what it described as the "despicable" massacre of more than 100 civilians in a Syrian town.

State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said Syrian Charge d'Affaires Zuheir Jabbour had been given 72 hours to leave the country, part of a wave of expulsions of Syrian diplomats from Western capitals.

While the moves were symbolically important and aimed at increasing Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's isolation, the Obama administration continued to resist any U.S. military intervention in Syria.

The killings in the village of Houla, some of which the U.N. peacekeeping chief on Tuesday said bore the hallmarks of pro-Assad militias, have increased pressure on Western government to halt more than a year of bloodshed in Syria.

On the diplomatic front, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Spain and the United Kingdom took similar steps against Syrian diplomats in those countries in a coordinated move.

"We took this action in response to the massacre in the village of Houla - (the) absolutely indefensible, vile, despicable - massacre against innocent children, women, shot at point-blank range by regime thugs, the Shabiha," Nuland told reporters, referring to pro-government militia.

In a separate statement, Nuland described Friday's attack on the town of Houla as a "vicious assault involving tanks and artillery - weapons that only the regime possesses."

"There are also reports that many families were summarily executed in their homes by regime forces," Nuland said.

"We hold the Syrian government responsible for this slaughter of innocent lives," Nuland said, calling the Houla attack "the most unambiguous indictment to date" of Damascus' refusal to implement U.N. resolutions calling for a peaceful resolution to the conflict.

Syrian officials have denied any army role in the massacre, one of the worst single incidents in the conflict.

The White House on Tuesday said again that it did not believe the time was right for military intervention in Syria, and rejected calls by Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney for more direct steps to end Assad's rule.

"We do not believe that militarization, further militarization of the situation in Syria at this point is the right course of action. We believe that it would lead to greater chaos, greater carnage," White House spokesman Jay Carney said.

"POLICY OF PARALYSIS"

While the U.S. electorate is primarily focused on the economy, Romney, President Barack Obama's expected rival in the November U.S. presidential election, has sought to use the unresolved Syrian crisis to paint Obama as weak on foreign policy.

Romney issued a statement Tuesday criticizing what he said was the administration's "policy of paralysis" on Syria.

"We should increase pressure on Russia to cease selling arms to the Syrian government and to end its obstruction at the United Nations. And we should work with partners to arm the opposition so they can defend themselves," he said.

An Obama campaign official has called such criticism from the former Massachusetts governor "a cheap shot at the president's foreign policy without offering any realistic solutions of his own."

Syria's longtime ambassador to Washington, Imad Moustapha, was recalled late last year and a formal replacement has not been named, leaving Jabbour as Damascus' top representative in the United States.

The joint action against Syrian diplomats marked a potentially new phase in the struggling international effort to halt the repression of a 14-month uprising against Assad and force him to relinquish power.

Nuland said the United States had chosen not to expel the lower-level officials at the Syrian Embassy in Washington, describing them as "mid- and low-level functionaries."

The United States in February closed its embassy in Damascus, withdrawing Ambassador Robert Ford and all U.S. diplomatic personnel due to the worsening security situation in the country.

The step stopped short of severing diplomatic relations, however, and Ford and his team continue to work on Syria from Washington, seeking to maintain contact both with government officials and opposition activists.

Washington has already imposed tough sanctions on Damascus, but has been struggling to craft a more muscular international response to the crisis amid opposition from Russia and China, both permanent members of the U.N. Security Council.

(Additional reporting by Jeff Mason; Editing by Warren Strobel and Bill Trott)

FILED UNDER:
We welcome comments that advance the story through relevant opinion, anecdotes, links and data. If you see a comment that you believe is irrelevant or inappropriate, you can flag it to our editors by using the report abuse links. Views expressed in the comments do not represent those of Reuters. For more information on our comment policy, see http://blogs.reuters.com/fulldisclosure/2010/09/27/toward-a-more-thoughtful-conversation-on-stories/
Comments (8)
justinolcb wrote:
shouldnt this have happened a year ago?

May 29, 2012 10:55am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Fromkin wrote:
US officials are liars.Thier conducts show that this massacre was premeditated, coordinated and executed by western countries in association with terrorist groups they control,….

They want to take control of Syria badly. Why?

May 29, 2012 11:47am EDT  --  Report as abuse
Fromkin wrote:
On December 27th 2008 at the start of the infamous ‘Operation Cast Lead’ the heavily armed Israeli Defence Force entered Gaza and over the next three weeks massacred 1166 Palestinians mostly civilian non-combatants including over 300 children under the age of sixteen.

The United Nations Fact Finding Mission on the Gaza Conflict concluded that the Israeli military operation was directed at the people of Gaza as a whole, in furtherance of an overall and continuing policy aimed at punishing the Gaza population, and in a deliberate policy of disproportionate force aimed at the civilian population.

When the Israel forces had withdrawn and the atrocities had been uncovered, the world was horrified at what had taken place, YET THE UN TOOK NO ACTION ON THE REPORT OF ITS FACT FINDING COMMISSION AND, THREE YEARS LATER, NO SOLDIER OR POLITICIAN HAS YET BEEN BROUGHT BEFORE A COURT.

The reason was the United States, or rather the American power of veto that allowed the outrageous use of force against the people and children of Gaza to go unpunished.

This established the precedent for the Assad regime to kill thousands of its civilians last week, including dozens of children, confident in the knowledge that the UN will take no action against it.

May 29, 2012 5:43pm EDT  --  Report as abuse
This discussion is now closed. We welcome comments on our articles for a limited period after their publication.