White House: U.S. military role in Syria would cause more chaos
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The White House said on Tuesday it did not believe military intervention in Syria was the right course of action at this time because it would lead to greater chaos and carnage.
White House spokesman Jay Carney told a briefing, however, that the United States had not taken any options - including military action - off of the table with regard to dealing with the Syrian crisis.
Earlier on Tuesday, the administration expelled Syria's top diplomat in Washington following what it described as the massacre of more than 100 civilians in the Syrian town of Houla.
- Malaysia Airlines plane crashes in South China Sea with 239 people aboard: report |
- UPDATE 4-Malaysia Airlines plane crashes in South China Sea with 239 people aboard - report
- China draws red line' on North Korea, says won't allow war on peninsula
- No signal picked up from missing Malaysia Airlines plane-Vietnam official
- Malaysian plane crashed off Vietnam coast: state media