Clashes break out at Tripoli airport-Reuters witness
TRIPOLI, June 4
TRIPOLI, June 4 (Reuters) - Rival Libyan militia clashed at Tripoli's international airport on Monday after an armed Libyan brigade surrounded the airport and forced it to close, a Reuters witness said.
Gunfire could be heard at the airport, a Reuters reporter at the scene said, adding he could see men entering the airport carrying rocket-propelled grenades.
Earlier gunmen from the al-Awfea brigade surrounded the airport to secure the release of one of their leaders whom they believed had been kidnapped and held there, a security official said. (Reporting by Ayman al-Sahli; Editing by Jon Boyle)
- Pennsylvania newlyweds "just wanted to murder someone together:" police
- WTO overcomes last minute hitch to reach its first global trade deal
- U.S. freeze shows no sign of weekend melt after deadly storm
- Colorado baker discriminated by denying gay couple wedding cake: judge
- North Korea frees U.S. Korean War veteran after seven weeks |