- French soldier stabbed while on patrol near Paris
- REPEAT-Will immigration reform get killed in Republican-led U.S. House?
- Planetary alignment peaks with celestial show this weekend
- Two believed dead as heavy rains flood San Antonio streets |
- Two freight trains collide in Missouri, bringing down overpass
Clinton says Assad must cede all power in Syria transition
ISTANBUL (Reuters) - U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton told Western and Arab nations at a meeting in Istanbul on Wednesday that a transition strategy in Syria must include President Bashar al-Assad's full transfer of power, a senior U.S. State Department official said.
Speaking to reporters after the meeting, the official said Clinton had also told the group that transition in Syria must include a fully representative interim government that would lead to free and fair elections.
France also announced at the meeting it would hold a full "Friends of Syria" meeting in Paris on July 6, the official said.
(Reporting by Arshad Mohammed, writing by Jonathon Burch, editing by Michael Roddy)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this