Indian shares edge higher; on hold for WPI
MUMBAI, June 13
MUMBAI, June 13 (Reuters) - Indian main index posted slight gains on Wednesday ahead of key inflation data that could help determine whether the central bank cuts interest rates next week.
Larsen & Toubro added 2.45 percent for the day on a Kyodo News report that Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Ltd. may look to buy a stake in unit L&T Shipbuilding though an executive at the energy conglomerate denied any such talks had taken place.
Auto shares were hit by media reports levies would be imposed on diesel vehicle sales, sending Mahindra & Mahindra down 1.84 percent.
India's main 30-share BSE index provisionally rose 0.12 percent to 16,883.4 points.
The broader 50-share NSE index gained 0.11 percent to 5,121.45 points (Reporting by Manoj Dharra; Editing by Rafael Nam)
- Sunken Korea ferry relatives give DNA swabs to help identify dead |
- Vice-principal of South Korea school in ferry disaster commits suicide |
- Special Report: How the U.S. made its Putin problem worse
- Death toll climbs to at least 13 in worst tragedy on Everest |
- All 338 Korean students, teachers rescued from sinking ferry - school official