Dexia situation under control - Belgian cenbank chief
BRUSSELS, June 22
BRUSSELS, June 22 (Reuters) - The situation at bailed-out Franco-Belgian lender Dexia is under control, with 55 billion euros ($69 billion)of state guarantees sufficient to cover its funding requirements, Belgian central bank governor Luc Coene said on Friday.
Dexia has submitted a plan to the European Commission seeking approval for guarantees from Belgium, France and Luxembourg of up to 90 billion euros, over which the Comission has expressed its doubts.
"The discussions are fully under way and I don't think these will be resolved in the short term as it is a very technical, complex matter," Coene told a news conference.
"The situation is under control... It has enough to fulfil all its financing requirements. It will be more in the last quarter of the year that we will need more clarity as to what the Commission thinks." ($1 = 0.7933 euros) (Reporting By Philip Blenkinsop)
- Air strike kills 15 civilians in Yemen by mistake: officials
- North Korea executes leader's powerful uncle in rare public purge |
- Twitter backtracks on block feature after users revolt
- Pope attacks mega-salaries and wealth gap in peace message
- Insight: In Yemen, al Qaeda gains sympathy amid U.S. drone strikes