Merkel says backs growth package for EU
ROME (Reuters) - Germany's Chancellor Angela Merkel threw her support on Friday behind a growth package worth 130 billion euros, or one percent of EU gross domestic product, following talks with other key European leaders on reviving the continent's economy.
"I absolutely agree with what everyone else here has said - to devote one percent of the GDP of the European area additionally to growth, to efficiency in growth and to investment," she told a joint news conference in Rome with the leaders of France, Italy and Spain
"That is a genuine signal that we need," she added.
(Reporting by Rome and Berlin bureau)
- Radar showed missing plane may have turned back: Malaysia military
- Exclusive: Malaysia plane probe narrows on mid-air disintegration - source
- Missing Malaysian jet may have disintegrated in mid-air: source |
- Malaysian plane presumed crashed; questions over false IDs |
- Merkel raps Putin as Russian forces tighten grip on Crimea |