Merkel says backs growth package for EU
ROME (Reuters) - Germany's Chancellor Angela Merkel threw her support on Friday behind a growth package worth 130 billion euros, or one percent of EU gross domestic product, following talks with other key European leaders on reviving the continent's economy.
"I absolutely agree with what everyone else here has said - to devote one percent of the GDP of the European area additionally to growth, to efficiency in growth and to investment," she told a joint news conference in Rome with the leaders of France, Italy and Spain
"That is a genuine signal that we need," she added.
(Reporting by Rome and Berlin bureau)
- Exclusive: Angry with Washington, 1 in 4 Americans open to secession
- U.S. immigration protesters drop U.S. border blockade plan
- About 60,000 Syrian Kurds flee to Turkey from Islamic State advance |
- Secret Service investigates after man jumps White House fence, reaches doors
- Kentucky firefighter dies after ice bucket challenge accident