Merkel says backs growth package for EU
ROME (Reuters) - Germany's Chancellor Angela Merkel threw her support on Friday behind a growth package worth 130 billion euros, or one percent of EU gross domestic product, following talks with other key European leaders on reviving the continent's economy.
"I absolutely agree with what everyone else here has said - to devote one percent of the GDP of the European area additionally to growth, to efficiency in growth and to investment," she told a joint news conference in Rome with the leaders of France, Italy and Spain
"That is a genuine signal that we need," she added.
(Reporting by Rome and Berlin bureau)
- Air strike kills 15 civilians in Yemen by mistake: officials
- Pope attacks mega-salaries and wealth gap in peace message
- North Korea says Jang Song Thaek, uncle of leader Kim Jong Un, executed
- Probation for drunk Texas teen driver who killed four sparks backlash
- Atheists face death in 13 countries, global discrimination: study