Four divers drown in Italian caving accident
ROME (Reuters) - Four divers were killed on Saturday while exploring an underwater cave system at Palinuro near Salerno in southern Italy, authorities said.
The four, three men and a woman, were part of a larger group of divers exploring a site known as the Cave of Blood, due to the red color of its walls, when they apparently became disoriented.
"We have already questioned the survivors of this tragedy but it's still too early to say exactly what happened," Andrea Agostinelli, an official with the regional Salerno coastguard, told SkyTG24 television.
In a separate incident, another diver died off the island of Capri, near Naples, Italian media reported.
- Police seek motive in fatal Washington state school shooting
- U.S. nurse quarantined over Ebola criticizes her treatment |
- Two deputies killed, two others hurt in California shooting spree
- Wall St. finally turning on Amazon as Bezos magic fades
- U.S., allies stage 22 air strikes in Iraq: U.S. Central Command