jcpenney Launches New Charitable Giving Program 'jcp cares'
jcpenney Launches New Charitable Giving Program 'jcp cares'
Program Invites Customers to Join Retailer's Commitment to Building Stronger Communities, Beginning with Support of USO in July
Blake Shelton to Serve as jcp cares Ambassador
PLANO, Texas, July 2, 2012
PLANO, Texas, July 2, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- As jcpenney sets its sights on becoming America's favorite store, the Company has launched jcp cares, a new charitable giving program. Through jcp cares, jcpenney will support a new cause each month by inviting customers to round up their purchases to the nearest whole dollar and donate the difference to the Company's featured charity partner. jcp cares will kick-off July 1 with jcpenney's support of the USO (United Service Organizations), a nonprofit, congressionally chartered, private organization dedicated to lifting the spirits of America's troops and their families. Along with round-up donations raised by customers throughout the month of July, jcpenney will be making a $1 million donation to the USO. jcpenney will also donate $1 -- up to $50,000 -- to the USO for each customer that checks in to a jcpenney store via foursquare from July 23-31.
To view the multimedia assets, please click: http://www.multivu.com/mnr/57028-jcpenney-launches-charitable-giving-program-jcp-cares
"As a company founded on the Golden Rule, jcpenney has a strong legacy of giving back. Through jcp cares, we'll be able to work with our customers to address some of the most pressing issues facing our communities today," said Miki Woodard, president of jcp cares and vice president of philanthropy at jcpenney. "Whether it's improving education, supporting our troops, or making sure no child goes hungry, working together, we can become a powerful force for good."
Supporting America's Favorite Charities
Through jcp cares, jcpenney will support a new charity each month that benefits a cause top-of-mind for its customers. Furthermore, as a demonstration of its commitment to building stronger communities, jcpenney will join its customers in giving back by making a contribution to its charity partner each month.
As America celebrates Independence Day in July, jcpenney will recognize our nation's men and women in uniform who make our freedom possible, by supporting the USO. For more than 70 years, the USO has been providing a tangible way for Americans to thank our troops and their families. Through its more than 160 locations worldwide and innovative programs and services, the USO provides troops serving in combat and their families with a touch of home and ways to stay connected during lengthy deployments. The USO also provides critical support to our wounded ill and injured – and their families – as well as families of the fallen.
"Like jcpenney, the USO has a strong commitment to building community through our centers, dedicated staff and volunteers. Last year alone, the USO delivered goodness to over 3.6 million troops and their families at our USO Centers across the country," said Sloan Gibson, president and chief executive officer of the USO. "We are honored to be jcpenney's premier charity partner as it officially launches its new charitable giving program this month. Without the support of the American people and companies like jcpenney, the USO couldn't be here today to lift the spirits of those who sacrifice so much for our country."
Along with its round-up initiative, jcpenney will also donate $1 – up to $50,000 – to the USO for each customer that checks in to a jcpenney store via foursquare from July 23-31.
Additional monthly charity partners this year will include:
- August – Back-to-School shoppers rounding up their jcpenney purchases in August will make it possible for more children to participate in life-enriching afterschool programs offered by 4-H and Boys & Girls Clubs of America. These important organizations jointly serve over 10 million children a year.
- September – With the school season officially underway, donations in September will benefit Teach for America. Working in partnership with communities to expand educational opportunity for children facing the challenges of poverty, Teach For America recruits and develops a diverse corps of outstanding individuals to teach in high-need schools and become lifelong leaders in efforts to end educational inequity.
- October – With nearly 230,000 new cases of invasive breast cancer diagnosed among women in the United States this year alone, jcpenney will support The Breast Cancer Research Foundation®, an organization committed to funding scientific research to achieve prevention and a cure for breast cancer.
- November – As families prepare for their annual Thanksgiving feasts, jcpenney will help in the effort to end childhood hunger in America through its support of the national nonprofit, Share Our Strength.
- December – jcpenney will share the holiday spirit this Christmas through its support of The Salvation Army and its annual Red Kettle campaign, which provides meals, clothing, toys, and basic necessities to families in need.
jcp cares will be supported by a robust, integrated marketing campaign which will include digital, social, mobile, in-store and direct mail and e-mail components. This will include a dedicated jcp cares page on www.BroadCause.com, a social media platform dedicated to activating, accelerating and aggregating passionate communities around cause-based initiatives. Additionally, beginning in August, customers will be able to join the jcp cares cause the through the Facebook social game, WeTopia. Created by Sojo Studios, WeTopia allows players to connect with friends, build their virtual town, and spend a unique form of currency called "Joy" that spreads real-world aid to various non-profits around the world. Customers can also make donations online at www.jcp.com/jcpcares and find more information about jcpenney's philanthropic commitment and monthly charity partners.
Blake Shelton Joins the jcp cares Cause
To mark the official launch of jcp cares and its support of the USO, jcpenney will be providing complimentary tickets to Ft. Drum soldiers and their families to attend Blake Shelton's concert in Watertown, N.Y. on July 6. Shelton will continue to support jcp cares throughout the year, serving as the Company's jcp cares ambassador.
Over 110 years ago, James Cash Penney founded his company on the principle of treating customers the way he wanted to be treated himself: fair and square. Today, rooted in its rich heritage, J. C. Penney Company, Inc. (NYSE: JCP) is re-imagining every aspect of its business in order to reclaim its birthright and become America¹s favorite store. The Company is transforming the way it does business and remaking the customer experience across its 1,100 jcpenney stores and on jcp.com. On every visit, customers will discover straightforward Fair and Square pricing, month-long promotions that are in sync with the rhythm of their lives, exceptionally curated merchandise, artful presentation, and unmatched customer service. For more information about jcpenney, visit jcp.com.
The USO (United Service Organizations) lifts the spirits of America's troops and their families millions of times each year at hundreds of places worldwide. We provide a touch of home through centers at airports and military bases in the U.S. and abroad, top quality entertainment and innovative programs and services. We also provide critical support to those who need us most, including forward-deployed troops, military families, wounded warriors and their families and the families of the fallen.
The USO is a private, nonprofit organization, not a government agency. All of our programs and services are made possible by the American people, support of our corporate partners and the dedication of our volunteers and staff. In addition to individual donors and corporate sponsors, the USO is supported by President's Circle Partners: American Airlines, AT&T, Clear Channel, The Coca-Cola Company, Kangaroo Express, Kroger, Lowe's, Northrop Grumman Corporation, Procter & Gamble, and TriWest Healthcare Alliance and Worldwide Strategic Partners: BAE Systems, The Boeing Company, Lockheed Martin, and Microsoft Corporation. We are also supported through the United Way and Combined Federal Campaign (CFC-11381). To join us in this patriotic mission, and to learn more about the USO, please visit uso.org.
jcpenney media relations
(972)431.3400 – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Exclusive: Radar data suggests missing Malaysia plane deliberately flown way off course - sources
- Investigators focus on foul play behind missing plane-sources |
- CEOs of biggest Russian firms could be hit by sanctions: paper |
- Search for Malaysian plane may extend to Indian Ocean - U.S |
- Russia blocks internet sites of Putin critics