Fed's Williams says Libor revelations undermine trust in banks
COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho (Reuters) - The revelation that Barclays appeared to have manipulated a key short-term borrowing rate has undermined confidence and trust in the entire banking system, a top Fed official said on Monday.
"Trust is absolutely critical to conduct any type of business," San Francisco Federal Reserve Bank President John Williams said, answering an audience question after a speech to bankers here.
- Exclusive: Radar data suggests missing Malaysia plane deliberately flown way off course - sources
- Lost Malaysian airliner may have run out of fuel over Indian Ocean : source |
- UPDATE 2-Satellite data shows missing Malaysia plane may have flown thousands of miles-source
- Investigators focus on foul play behind missing Malaysia plane: sources |
- UPDATE 1-Rolls-Royce concurs with Malaysia on missing jet's engine data