Interior minister, Assad brother-in-law wounded: Hezbollah TV
BEIRUT (Reuters) - Syrian Interior Minister Mohammad Ibrahim al-Shaar and President Bashar al-Assad's brother-in-law Assef Shawkat were wounded in a Damascus explosion on Wednesday, Lebanon's Hezbollah-owned al-Manar television said.
Syrian state television said earlier that a "terrorist bomb" exploded during a meeting of ministers and security officials at a national security building in Damascus, killing Defense Minister Daoud Rajha.
Western diplomats in the region confirmed that Shawkat, who is also the deputy minister of defense, was wounded in the explosion.
(Reporting by Oliver Holmes in Beirut and Khaled Yacoub Oweis in Amman, editing by Diana Abdallah)
- Exclusive: Malaysia plane probe narrows on mid-air disintegration - source
- Radar showed missing plane may have turned back: Malaysia military
- Missing Malaysian jet may have disintegrated in mid-air: source |
- Malaysian plane presumed crashed; questions over false IDs |
- Merkel raps Putin as Russian forces tighten grip on Crimea |