Interior minister, Assad brother-in-law wounded: Hezbollah TV
BEIRUT (Reuters) - Syrian Interior Minister Mohammad Ibrahim al-Shaar and President Bashar al-Assad's brother-in-law Assef Shawkat were wounded in a Damascus explosion on Wednesday, Lebanon's Hezbollah-owned al-Manar television said.
Syrian state television said earlier that a "terrorist bomb" exploded during a meeting of ministers and security officials at a national security building in Damascus, killing Defense Minister Daoud Rajha.
Western diplomats in the region confirmed that Shawkat, who is also the deputy minister of defense, was wounded in the explosion.
(Reporting by Oliver Holmes in Beirut and Khaled Yacoub Oweis in Amman, editing by Diana Abdallah)
- Missing jet may have strayed toward Andaman Sea: Malaysian air force |
- NYC buildings explosion kills 2, more missing
- Malaysia military source says missing jet veered to west |
- Exclusive: EU approves framework for asset freezes, travel bans on Russia
- Ukraine appeals to the West as Crimea turns to Russia |