Syrian TV confirms Assef Shawkat killed in bombing
BEIRUT (Reuters) - Syrian state television said President Bashar al-Assad's brother-in-law and senior military official Assef Shawkat was killed in a bomb attack in Damascus on Wednesday, confirming earlier reports by security sources.
In a newsflash it announced the "martyrdom of deputy defense minister General Assef Shawkat in the terrorist bombing which targeted the National Security building in Damascus".
(Editing by Jon Boyle)
- Target stores' customers hit by major credit card attack
- UPDATE 3-Saab wins Brazil jet deal after NSA spying sours Boeing bid
- Facebook, Zuckerberg, banks must face IPO lawsuit: judge
- As Modi storms into India's election, a quiet alternative emerges
- U.S. prosecutor defends treatment of Indian diplomat |