- Kanye West wins over critics with 'daring' new album 'Yeezus'
- Angelina Jolie stunt double sues News Corp over hacking
- Massachusetts police search NFL player's home in homicide probe: report
- Journalist who brought down U.S. general is killed in Los Angeles car crash
- Asian markets tense before Fed; Nikkei outperforms
Reinsurer Everest Re beats expectations on higher margins
July 25 |
July 25 (Reuters) - Bermuda-based reinsurer Everest Re Group Ltd's quarterly profit blew past analysts' expectations on higher margins and underwriting profits.
The company's second-quarter net profit rose to $214.6 million, or $4.08 per share, from $131.3 million, or $2.41 per share, a year earlier.
Operating income, which excludes certain investment gains and losses, was $4.25 per share, above analysts' estimate of $3.80 per share, according to Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S.
Net premium earned for the April-June quarter remained flat at $1.04 billion.
The combined ratio-- which is the percentage of premiums an insurer has to pay out in claims and expenses -- fell to 89 percent from 98 percent, a year earlier.
The reinsurer's shares, which have risen more than 6 percent in the last three months, closed at $102.08 on Wednesday on the New York Stock Exchange.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this