Roku gets $45 million from News Corp, BSkyB
July 26 (Reuters) - Roku Inc said News Corp, British Sky Broadcasting Group PLC and others will invest $45 million in the company, which delivers online video, music and games to TV.
Roku will use the money to promote its brand and develop new international markets, which includes the launch of a new wireless streaming device that integrates with TVs and electronic devices.
Menlo Ventures, Globespan Capital Partners and an unnamed investor also put cash into the company, which launched its first player in 2008, designed to stream movies from Netflix Inc to the TV. It now streams more than 500 entertainment channels.
- First Ebola victim in Sierra Leone capital on the run
- Amazon's far-reaching ambitions, lack of profits, unnerve investors |
- Apple iPhones allow extraction of deep personal data, researcher finds
- Short Gaza truce takes hold; many bodies pulled from rubble |
- EU edges to economic sanctions on Russia but narrows scope |