Zimmer revenue misses estimates, narrows sales forecast
* Q2 adj EPS $1.34 vs est $1.32
* Q2 rev $1.13 bln vs est $1.14 bln
* Sees FY12 adj EPS $5.25-$5.35
July 26 (Reuters) - Orthopedic device maker Zimmer Holdings Inc reported lower-than-expected quarterly revenue as weakness in its spine and dental businesses persisted and narrowed its full-year sales forecast.
The company expects full-year sales to rise 2.5 percent to 3.5 percent, excluding effects of currency fluctuations. It had earlier forecast a rise of 2 percent to 4 percent.
It also narrowed its net income forecast to $4.75 to $4.85 per share. On an adjusted basis, it expects to earn $5.25 to $5.35 per share.
Net sales for April-June fell to $1.13 billion from $1.14 billion. Analysts had expected $1.14 billion.
Sales at its dental segment fell 6 percent, while sales at spine segment fell 7 percent.
Net earnings, however, rose to $214.5 million, or $1.22 cents per share, from $203.8 million, or $1.06 per share, a year earlier.
Excluding special items earnings were $1.34 per share, beating estimates of 1.32 per share.
Operating expenses fell 8 percent to $541.2 million.
Zimmer shares closed at $61 on Wednesday on the New York Stock Exchange.
- Nurse defies Ebola quarantine with bike ride; negotiations fail |
- Suspect in Pennsylvania police ambush captured after seven-week manhunt
- Japan shares soar, yen skids after BOJ stuns with new easing steps
- Oil price declines have small-cap shale investors scrambling
- China says nets 180 graft suspects in overseas manhunt