Judo: Sorry Mr. President, I'm busy, says medal winner
LONDON (Reuters) - Having learned Yuri Alvear had won Colombia's first Olympic judo medal, the country's president Juan Manuel Santos was naturally keen to thank her in person on the phone. The only problem was, she was too busy to speak to him.
"At that moment I was heading to the medal ceremony so I couldn't talk to him," Alvear, who took bronze in the women's -70kg category in London, said laughing.
"I told him I would call him back when the ceremony finished."
(Reporting by Michael Holden, editing by Justin Palmer)
- WTO overcomes last minute hitch to reach its first global trade deal
- Colorado baker discriminated by denying gay couple wedding cake: judge
- Flights delayed as air pollution hits record in Shanghai
- Amish girl in Ohio will not be forced to resume chemo for cancer
- Australia foreign minister downplays China air defense zone tension in visit