- Frenetic search for survivors as 91 feared dead in tornado-hit Oklahoma |
- Israel fires back at Syria after gunshots at its troops
- Drop in U.S. underground water levels has accelerated -USGS
- Dollar firms before Bernanke, inflation dip hits sterling |
- IRS officials back on Capitol Hill hot seat over targeting
Cycling: Britain romp to team pursuit gold
LONDON (Reuters) - Britain demolished Australia and their own world record to defend the men's Olympic team pursuit gold medal they won four years ago in Beijing and send the home crowd into a state of wild delirium on Friday.
The British quartet of Ed Clancy, Geraint Thomas, Steven Burke and Peter Kennaugh finished in three minutes, 51.659 seconds, almost three seconds clear of the silver medalists.
David Bowie's "Heroes" blasted out over the tannoy as the home fans clapped the gold medalists on a lap of honor after they shaved almost a second of the previous record set on Thursday.
New Zealand beat Russia to the bronze medal in a time of 3:55.952.
(Reporting by Toby Davis; editing by Ed Osmond)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this