NRG Energy tops profit estimates, starts dividend
Aug 8 (Reuters) - Independent power producer NRG Energy Inc reported a bigger-than-expected profit on higher retail sales and customer count, and declared its first ever quarterly dividend.
NRG, which struck a deal last month to buy rival GenOn Energy Inc, said it will pay a quarterly dividend of 9 cents per share. The dividend is payable on August 15.
The net income fell to $251 million, or $1.08 per share, from $621 million, or $2.53 per share, a year earlier.
Analysts on average had expected 15 cents per share, according to Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S.
Operating revenue fell 5 percent $ 2.16 billion.
- Target holiday cyber breach hits 40 million payment cards
- UPDATE 3-Saab wins Brazil jet deal after NSA spying sours Boeing bid
- Zuckerberg to sell Facebook shares worth about $2.3 billion
- Special Report: Why Ukraine spurned the EU and embraced Russia
- Facebook, Zuckerberg, banks must face IPO lawsuit: judge