Water polo: Croatia beats Italy to win gold
LONDON (Reuters) - Croatia won gold in the men's water polo tournament, overpowering Italy 8-6 to win the country's first Olympic title in the sport since its gained independence from Yugoslavia.
The Croatians ran away with the match in the second half, with the Italians failing to threaten and struggling to find a way past the tournament's top-ranked goalkeeper in Croatia's Josip Pavic.
Both teams feature on the podium for the first time since 1996, when Croatia won silver and Italy took home bronze. Serbia won the bronze medal in a match against Montenegro played earlier on Sunday.
- Sierra Leone declares emergency as Ebola death toll hits 729 |
- Israel, Palestinian militant groups begin three-day Gaza truce |
- Disappointment, uncertainty after India blocks WTO trade deal
- Tesla expects to boost 2015 output to more than 60,000
- Tea Party out-muscles Boehner on border-security funding