Gunmen attack Pakistan air base: air force
ISLAMABAD (Reuters) - A Pakistan air force official said gunmen attacked and entered an air force base in central Pakistan early on Thursday, calling the attackers "terrorists".
Security guards and the attackers were exchanging intense gunfire nearly three hours after the assault began at Minhas base in Punjab province, the official said.
"Terrorists" is the term Pakistani authorities use to describe militant groups such as the Taliban who are seeking to topple the U.S.-backed government.
(Reporting by Sheree Sardar; Writing by Michael Georgy; Editing by John Mair)
- Alabama man gets $1,000 in police settlement, his lawyers get $459,000
- New York police officer critically wounded in hatchet attack
- Doctor with Ebola in New York hospital after return from Guinea
- Exclusive: Charred tanks in Ukraine point to Russian involvement
- Ground offensive against Islamic State months away in Iraq: U.S.