- Survivors pulled from Oklahoma tornado debris as toll lowered |
- Convicted U.S. killer Arias would join tiny death row group
- Drop in U.S. underground water levels has accelerated -USGS
- Israel fires back at Syria after gunshots at its troops
- Analysis: Some Republicans see new scandal in Sebelius fundraising
Brazil regulator approves Monsanto GMO cotton variety
BRASILIA Aug 16 (Reuters) - Brazil's biosecurity regulator CTNBio approved use of a genetically modified cotton seed produced by Monsanto Co, which offers pest resistance properties and is tolerant of the weed killer glyphosate, the company said in a statement on Thursday.
The variety, known as Bollgard II Roundup Ready Flex, can resist insects in the lepidoptera category, which includes moths and butterflies such as armyworm, which is known to attack cotton plantations in Brazil.
The seed was approved for use in the United States and a number of other countries between 2005-07.
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this