- Taxes on some wealthy French top 100 pct of income: paper
- North Korea fires short-range missiles for two days in a row |
- Israel warns against Russian arms supply to Syria
- Female hostage died from police bullet in New York standoff: official
- Winning ticket for $590.5 million Powerball lottery sold in Florida |
Miss China crowned Miss World 2012
(Reuters) - Miss China, a 23-year-old music lover who wants to work with the poor, was crowned Miss World 2012 at a ceremony in Inner Mongolia, pageant organizers said on Saturday.
Wearing a sparkling blue gown, Yu Wenxia waved to the audience in the Dongsheng Stadium in Ordos, located in China's Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region.
Organizers said Yu beat out 115 contestants, a record, in the highly publicized annual international beauty pageant.
China also won the Miss World title in 2007, when model Zhang Zilin took the crown.
"I love to smile and I like music," Yu said in a video posted on the pageant's website, in which she talks about her study of Chinese folk music.
Sophie Moulds, a 19-year-old business student from Wales, took second place. Jessica Kahawaty, 23, a law student from Australia, was third.
(Reporting by Lily Kuo; Editing by Mary Wisniewski and Xavier Briand)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this