- UK opposition party leader says Google tax behavior 'wrong'
- Microsoft unveils Xbox One with Spielberg, Activision tie-up
- White House threatens veto of bill to bypass Obama on Keystone
- Whole neighborhoods razed by Oklahoma tornado that killed 24 |
- Russia moves closer to jail terms for offending religion
China's Ping An says eyes online insurance JV with Alibaba, Tencent
SHANGHAI Aug 24 (Reuters) - Ping An Insurance (Group) , Chinese Internet firms Alibaba Group and Tencent Holdings, and other shareholders are forming a joint venture company to sell insurance online, Ping An's chairman said on Friday.
"We will use Alibaba and Tencent's Internet strength to cooperate in the insurance industry," Peter Ma said at a press conference in Shanghai, after the company's financial results were announced on Thursday.
Ma did not provide more details. Alibaba declined to comment while Tencent could not be reached for comment.
Ping An, the world's second-largest insurer by market value, reported a better-than-expected 9.4 percent rise in first-half profits, boosted by its banking business. (Reporting by David Lin and Melanie Lee; Editing by Muralikumar Anantharaman)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this