- Microsoft unveils Xbox One with Spielberg, Activision tie-up
- Whole neighborhoods razed by Oklahoma tornado that killed 24 |
- White House threatens veto of bill to bypass Obama on Keystone
- Russia moves closer to jail terms for offending religion
- UPDATE 1-Regeneron, Sanofi asthma drug seen as potential game changer
A huge tornado tears through the Oklahoma City suburb of Moore, killing dozens. Slideshow
Drone attacks kill 16 in Pakistan: officials
DERA ISMAIL KHAN, Pakistan |
DERA ISMAIL KHAN, Pakistan (Reuters) - Missile-firing U.S. drone aircraft killed at least 16 people on Friday in an attack in northwest Pakistan, two Pakistani intelligence officials.
The attacks targeted three walled compounds in the Shawal Valley, which is in the South Waziristan region on the border with Afghanistan, the officials said. The area has long been known as a sanctuary for militants.
The drone attacks are highly controversial in Pakistan, where there is anger over civilian casualties and what is perceived as a violation of Pakistani sovereignty.
But U.S. officials say that Pakistan does not control the militant-held territory where the drones strike. The United States considers drones a key weapon in the war against al Qaida and Taliban insurgents. (Reporting by Saud Mehsud; Writing by Katharine Houreld; Editing by Robert Birsel)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this