Personal Technology Experts(R) at Support.com Offer Five Tips to Make Your Laptop More Secure for Traveling
REDWOOD CITY, Calif., Aug. 27, 2012 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Traveling everywhere with our laptops has become a way of life, which also makes laptops a target for theft. Did you know that one out of every ten laptops gets stolen, that means a laptop is stolen every 53 seconds! Scary statistics, and a good time to revisit some simple steps you can take to make your laptop more secure when traveling. The Personal Technology Experts at Support.com (Nasdaq:SPRT), a provider of technology services and software for consumers and small businesses recommend the following:
1. Avoid Laptop Bags: Almost 12,000 laptops are lost or stolen in U.S. airports each week. To make your laptop less of a target, skip a typical laptop bag and instead try carrying your laptop in a padded briefcase, suitcase or backpack.
2. Free Wi-Fi Means More Risk: Many public wireless networks are relatively unsecure, and all users should be extra careful before connecting their laptop to a free network. If you must connect to a free network, here are 6 steps to connect to a wireless network safely. Instead of accessing a free network, you may be able to use an Internet USB dongle, or some providers like T-Mobile offer mobile hotspot services that let you access the Internet on your laptop with your mobile device.
3. Security/Anti-Theft Program: Install a security program that allows you to track/recover your laptop if lost or stolen. A well-known program is LoJack for Laptops.
4. Backup Data Before You Travel: Back up your data before you travel, it will be there if your laptop gets stolen! For those who travel a lot, consider an online data backup service that offers 24/7 access to all your files.
5. Encryption for Added Protection: Encrypting data on your laptop ensures that it can be accessed or read only by you – a good idea if it falls into the wrong hands!
Finally, never leave your laptop unattended in hotel rooms or rental cars!
Support.com, Inc. (Nasdaq:SPRT) provides technology services and software for consumers and small businesses. Support.com® Personal Technology Experts provide a quick, cost-effective and stress-free technology support experience over the Internet and the phone using the Company's advanced technology platform. Support.com also offers a wide range of easy-to-use software products that detect and repair common computer problems and optimize performance and security. Support.com offers programs through many of the nation's leading retailers, broadband service providers and technology companies, and provides software to over a million consumers and small businesses. For more information please visit us at: www.support.com, www.facebook.com/support.com, or http://twitter.com/support_com.
The Support.com, Inc. logo is available at http://www.globenewswire.com/newsroom/prs/?pkgid=11893
Support.com, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. For more information, visit http://www.support.com/about/careers.
Copyright © 2012 Support.com, Inc. All rights reserved. Support.com and Personal Technology Experts are trademarks or registered trademarks of Support.com, Inc. in the U.S. and other countries. All other marks are the property of their respective owners.
CONTACT: Media Contact Seth Geisler Martin Levy Public Relations, Inc. (858) 610-9860 firstname.lastname@example.org www.martinlevypr.com
- Mexican train derails, stranding 1,300 migrants headed toward U.S.
- Gaza toll nears 100, militants threaten Israeli airport |
- Haskell collapses in Texas court as details of Texas murder read
- A game of two popes: Vatican plays down talk of World Cup rivalry
- Obama tells Israel U.S. ready to help end hostilities