UPDATE 2-Soccer-Fenerbahce sign Chelsea midfielder Meireles
(Adds Chelsea confirmation)
ISTANBUL, Sept 3 (Reuters) - Turkish club Fenerbahce have signed midfielder Raul Meireles from Chelsea, the Premier League club said on their website on Monday.
Turkish media reports said Meireles had signed a four-year contract. Fenerbahce earlier said they had started negotiations to buy him in a statement to the Istanbul Stock Exchange.
The 29-year-old, who has played more than 60 times for Portugal, was signed by Chelsea on a four-year contract from Premier League rivals Liverpool in 2011.
The Istanbul club, runners-up to Galatasaray last season in Turkey's Super League, have been looking to bolster their midfield after Emre Belozoglu left for Atletico Madrid on a free transfer earlier this year.
Turkey's transfer window closes on Wednesday. (Writing by Jonathon Burch; Editing by Nick Tattersall and Ed Osmond)
- Pope attacks mega-salaries and wealth gap in peace message
- Air strike kills 15 civilians in Yemen by mistake: officials
- Probation for drunk Texas teen driver who killed four sparks backlash
- Atheists face death in 13 countries, global discrimination: study
- South Africa admits mistake over 'schizophrenic' Mandela signer |