US antitrust objection blocks 3M-Avery office products deal
WASHINGTON, Sept 4
WASHINGTON, Sept 4 (Reuters) - 3M Co is abandoning its plan to acquire Avery Dennison Corp's office products groups after antitrust authorities at the U.S. Justice Department threatened a civil lawsuit to block the deal, the department said on Tuesday.
The department disclosed its objections in a news release, saying the proposed acquisition "would have substantially lessened competition in the sale of labels and sticky notes."
Consumers would have seen higher prices and reduced innovation as a result, the department said.
- Washington, DC city council raises minimum wage to $11.50/hr in 2016
- Winning ticket sold in California for Mega Millions lottery: official |
- India removes barriers to U.S. embassy as anger grows over diplomat's arrest
- UPDATE 5-Mega Millions lottery winning tickets sold in California, Georgia -Officials
- China confirms near miss with U.S. ship in South China Sea