- Whole neighborhoods razed by Oklahoma tornado that killed 24 |
- Microsoft unveils Xbox One with Spielberg, Activision tie-up
- White House threatens veto of bill to bypass Obama on Keystone
- Russia moves closer to jail terms for offending religion
- Senate panel passes immigration bill; Obama praises move
ECB's Weidmann isolated on opposing bond buying - paper
AMSTERDAM, Sept 4 |
AMSTERDAM, Sept 4 (Reuters) - German Central Bank President Jens Weidmann is completely isolated in the European Central Bank in his opposition to buying government bonds, a Dutch newspaper reported on Tuesday, citing unnamed sources.
Both publicly and behind closed doors, Weidmann has no support for his opposition to ECB President Mario Draghi's plan to help Spain and Italy with new interventions, Dutch daily Het Financieele Dagblad said.
Other monetary hawks, including Dutch Central Bank President Klaas Knot and ECB board member Joerg Asmussen, do not oppose restarting the bond buying programme, the paper said.
Draghi is expected to reveal details of a new bond-buying plan on Thursday to help indebted euro zone countries facing high interest rates.
The ECB was not immediately available to comment. (Reporting by Gilbert Kreijger; Editing by Andrew Heavens)
- Tweet this
- Share this
- Digg this