Somali lawmakers elect Mohamud as next president
MOGADISHU, Sept 10
MOGADISHU, Sept 10 (Reuters) - Somalia's lawmakers voted overwhelmingly on Monday for Hassan Sheikh Mohamud as the country's next president, with the streets of the capital erupting into celebratory gunfire, Reuters witnesses said.
Two of the four candidates who made it to the second round of voting opted out, leaving the incumbent President Sheikh Sharif Ahmed and Mohamud.
- Sierra Leone's chief Ebola doctor contracts the virus
- Gaza bloodshed deepens as airlines shun Israel |
- Ukraine rebel commander acknowledges fighters had BUK missile
- TransAsia Airways plane crashes in typhoon-hit Taiwan, killing 47 |
- South Korea ferry fugitive hid behind cabin wall, bags of cash at hand