Istanbul blast caused by suicide bomber: police chief
ISTANBUL (Reuters) - An explosion at a police station in a suburb of Turkey's largest city Istanbul on Tuesday was caused by a suicide bomber, Istanbul police chief Huseyin Capkin said.
"First (the attacker) threw a grenade, then blew himself up at the entrance of the police station ... The policeman working at the entrance was killed," Capkin told reporters at the scene.
(Reporting by Ece Toksabay; Writing by Nick Tattersall, editing by Diana Abdallah)
- Putin dissolves state news agency, tightens grip on Russia media
- North Korea says Kim's powerful uncle dismissed for 'criminal acts'
- Thai PM calls snap election, protesters want power now |
- Cold, ice grip U.S. as more snow to blanket East
- Protesters fell Lenin statue, tell Ukraine's president 'you're next'
Protesters respond to calls to defend their demonstration from possible police intervention. Slideshow