Madagascar signs operating permit for Ambatovy mine -govt
ANTANANARIVO, Sept 13
ANTANANARIVO, Sept 13 (Reuters) - Madagascar has signed an operating permit allowing Canada's Sherritt International Corp and partners to begin production at the Ambatovy nickel mine, its government said on Thursday.
"The government has signed the permit. Mining can begin. The rest depends on their planning," Mines Minister Daniella Rajo Randriafeno told Reuters.
The $5.5 billion joint venture project is set to be one of the largest nickel mines in the world, producing 60,000 tonnes of refined nickel annually for the next three decades.
- Malaysia plane search straddles continent as police focus on crew |
- Crimeans vote over 90 percent to quit Ukraine for Russia |
- Moscow wins overwhelming Crimea vote, West readies sanctions |
- Ukraine, Russia agree Crimea truce until March 21-Ukraine minister
- Stocks near one-month low as western sanctions on Russia loom |